Friday, April 4, 2008

RESPONSE: ATHEISM IS NOT ANTI-RELIGION, BUT I AM

From: michael mey [mailto:poelyric@yahoo.com] Sent: Friday, April 04, 2008 2:10 AMTo: NachumNormanSubject: Re: [HISTORY - THE STORY OF POWER] ATHEISM IS NOT ANTI-RELIGION, BUT I AM!

Most of the time it's easy to see the problem. Sometimes it's harder and some extra effort is required to suss it out. There is an endless list of problems in this world. Literally. Is it possible that all the problems we perceive are really just one problem that appears in many forms? Is it possible that all solutions are really only one solution that seems evasive and beyond our ken? I believe it is necessary to shift our index finger from pointing to the problem to focusing our mind entirely on the solution. It is very obvious one has been tried and the other has had only partial implementation. Obvious to the extreme. Do we not continuously repeat the same mistakes over and over again without respite? The solution is forgiveness. The problem matters not.

Hi Michael,
Thanks for your response to my mini-dissertation on Atheism, religion, god, and me. Your suggestion that we focus on solutions, or rather one solution to all problems, seems to me to be a return to the god solution to mankind’s problems. Your statement that “I believe it is necessary to shift our index finger from pointing to the problem to focusing our mind entirely on the solution,” implies that all problems lie in the mind of humanity and then, “The solution is forgiveness. The problems matter not,” again brings me back to the higher power responding to humanity’s prayers for forgiveness. I presume, perhaps incorrectly, that when you say, “it is very obvious” a solution has been tried, do mean Jesus or some other higher power?
I’ll post your message on my blog and perhaps, someone will respond with a different interpretation of your words and their own view of my belief that religions have joined forces with Power Elites to the detriment of mankind.
Nachum

2 comments:

ameyers said...

I believe we all seek to understand ourselves and the dizzying world in which we live. I don’t think people have a need to believe in God per se, rather they seek to understand themselves in the context of a chaotic world. God provides answers for otherwise unanswerable questions. So okay if the need to believe in something that explains humanity sets the stage for being wrong or even exploited. At least these people seek. I’m more concerned about those who don’t seek answers, but that’s another conversation. Worthy pursuits (health, happiness, spirituality, wealth, etc.) by their very nature have the potential, and even likelihood of exploitation for nefarious purposes. I believe the challenge you raised simply addresses one of the lesser desirable traits of human nature – the will and capacity to exploit others’ vulnerabilities. So, Power Elites, sharpen your dagger, wield your pen, preach your truth and enjoy the panoply of choices for extending your reign. And remember, Sunday Mass starts at 10am.

Unknown said...

Way to encourage spam.